Tuesday 26 April 2011

first vocal lesson in three weeks

My vocal teacher had finally returned from her training overseas last Sunday, and I had my first lesson with her in three weeks that afternoon. Having not done any vocal exercises or singing in front of anyone the past few weeks, having to do that again for her got me a little nervous, but all went okay I think.

Had to sing Michael Buble's Home over a karaoke track. That was the first song I've ever attempted without the performer's vocals to back me up. My pitching was all over the place. Need loads more practice...not to mention how uncomfortable it was to hear my singing...geez...that wasn't pleasant.

Well, I received a new song to work on for the week -- Howie Day's Collide, and maybe a Wang Lee Hong or Tao Zhe song.I'm sorta into Lee Hong's Everything now and am trying to sing. It's such a nice song...and it needed me to transition smoothly between my  chest and head voice, which I'm okay with.

Apparently I have a connected voice, despite my lack of vocal training before, so I'm actually happy about using my mix when approaching it from my lower register. It's the coming down from my mix to my chest voice that's a challenge, but I'm working on that.

Otherwise, vocal lesson that day was therapeutic as usual.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment